Friday, December 10, 2010

Shirataki Noodles with Peanut sauce

I read about these 'miracle' noodles that were 20 calories in comparison to 120 calories for 'normal' noodles per serving except...they are made from tofu. However I still really liked them and so did Alex however I do NOT recommend using these noodles for non-Asian meals. The trick to feeding someone tofu noodles is to not tell them they are tofu noodles till about 15 mins into dinner :)

5 tbsp peanut butter
1/2 cup chicken stock
3 tbsp rice vinegar
5 cloves crushed garlic
4 tbsp soy sauce
1 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp Sriracha sauce (any hot sauce to you like)
3 tsp ground ginger
1 cup shredded carrots
1 cup broccoli
2 chicken breasts
1/2 cup green onions.
2 8-oz packets shiritaki noodles

You can find these noodles at whole foods in the tofu refrigerated section they are sort of pricey but worth it every once in a while. They must stay refrigerated until you are ready to use them.

So they sort of smell, but I swear if you do this they won't ...Open Shirataki Noodles. Drain, rinse and boil for 3 minutes, don’t get it on your hands. Boiling gets rid of the stench.

Once boiled drain the water and add to your chopped green onions in a mixing bowl.
Since I made this there are a few things I would adjust so my directions may not match my pictures exactly but trust me its  better this way. I would combine all 'sauce' ingredients (everything but noodles/veggies) to a microwave safe bowl/mixing cup.... Microwave for about 45 seconds, stir it up, and repeat if necessary to get a nice smooth peanut sauce.

Add about 3/4 of the sauce mixture to your veggies in a saucepan (big enough to add in your noodles later.)
I added everything in separately but I think making the sauce first is better
Meanwhile you will need to bake your chicken with some peanut sauce you can do this however you like, I used my deep covered baker. Take your raw chicken... (that is one breast butterflied) I recommend making two full breasts for meat eaters. Add your peanut sauce to cover...

I popped it in the  microwave for about 11 mins in the baker, you could also just bake in the oven, stove top however you want. 
Dunzo with the chicken, meanwhile add in your noodles/green onion mixture to your veggies after they have sauteed in the sauce for about 5 mins... Give it a toss for about 2 min, then serve with a side of chicken. You could also cut up the chicken and serve it mixed with the veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment