Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Indian Samosas- 2 ways

Alex got me into Indian food recently and because I love vegetarian food its worked out well. One of my favorite apps are Samosas, they are typically in a triangle shape and ALWAYS deep fried. Well the last time I had one I decided I no longer wanted them deep fried and  I wanted to make my own:



4 cups chopped potatoes
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped carrots
1 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp tumeric
2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
2 cloves crushed garlic
Wonton wrappers

Don't be turned off by the spices if you don't have them all, if you google a few recipes you will find one that has your mix of spices, which is what I did. This mixture is enough two make two batches (24 cups and about 30 triangles), so I made them two different ways. The first time, I made them into 'cups' using my mini muffin pan and the second time I made them into the traditional triangle. They were both just as good, the triangles are a little more tedious and require a bit more filling.

Dice up about 2-3 large potatoes add to a microwave safe bowl, with about 3 tablespoons of water, cover with saran wrap and microwave for about 6 minutes. Cook time may vary, you basically want them mashable. You could also do this in a pot but hey less dishes this way.
Meanwhile, saute chopped onions, carrots, and crushed garlic with olive oil
Add all the spices about a minute later and cook until onions are translucent about 10 minutes on medium high heat.
Once potatoes are done, mash them up. I used my mix and chop that I typically use when cooking ground meats but it doubled as an excellent potato masher!

Mix in spiced onion and carrot mixture.

After the spiced mixture is mixed well with the potatoes stir in frozen peas.

Now from here you can make them two ways:

Samosas cups
Line your mini muffin pan with the wonton wrappers and place into preheated oven at 350 degrees for about 5 mins. I like to spray the wonton wrappers with a bit of pam to give them a crispy look, you could just as easily brush a little oil onto each.. Once they are out of the oven, spoon in the mixture and place back into the oven for another 10 mins. Watching closely to make sure the wonton wrappers don't burn....I didn't really take pictures of this process,oops sorry!

They satisfied my Deep fried Samosas craving without the fat...Success!


Traditional Triangle Samosas (you'll need an egg for this one)
 
Mix your egg in a separate bowl and set aside..Lay out your wonton wrapper flat, using a small scoop, scoop enough mixture to fill up the spoon.
The small scoop from pampered chef is a really good size for this and works well when making anything in the mini muffin pan too. Place the scoop onto the wrapper, and brush two edges of the wonton with egg so you will be able to seal the samosas,
Next gently seal up the samosas. When placing the scoop try your best to drop if on one half of the square wonton wrapper.. This picture is halfway through the sealing process...
And repeat, over and over again. Like I said this is definitely more labor intensive, if I were to make this as an appetizer for a big party, I would probably still do the cups because it is quick and I like that people won't keep asking me whats on the inside because with the cups you can see! Gently brush more egg on the tops of the triangles to give them a pretty glow..
Bake on 350 for about 15-20 mins, till pretty and golden brown! I used Greek yogurt as a dipping sauce because everything is better with Greek yogurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment