Thursday, November 4, 2010

Sundried Tomato Hummus

I finally gave in this weekend and bought a food processor. I've made hummus plenty of times before but this time I paid attention and measured. You're welcome. I don't like store bought hummus because the taste of tahini wigs me out, so this is a way cheaper method plus surprise surprise, its healthier
3 cans chick peas
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp cayenne pepper(less if you don't like it spicy)
1 1/2 cups marinated sundried tomatoes
salt/pepper
about 3/4 cup olive oil
2-3 cloves crushed garlic

One of the easier recipes I have ever done: Strain out the juice from the canned beans, and dump all ingredients including your strained beans into the food processor. I don't add all the olive oil at once, definitely add in 1/2 a cup then add in more if you want a creamier texture. I like mine choppy so I don't usually add too much oil.
Try to add the oil and lemon juice in on the botttom, then some chick peas and then layer in the other ingredients. this way your food processor has liquid on the bottom so it will flow smoother.
Before I bought the food processor I used my blender and it really sucked. So if you want try to use your  blender you can but just do one can at a time, you will hate your life, but the hummus will still taste awesome.

I have also substituted Roasted red peppers in for the Sundried tomatoes, you could pretty much try anything you really like.

No comments:

Post a Comment