Thursday, November 4, 2010

Fried (not fried) Calamari

I love fried calamari but I don't love the fat/grease that usually accompanies it. So the other day when I was at Harris teeter and saw a big bag of frozen calamari rings for $9.99 (regular price, not even on sale) I knew I had to experiment.


1 cup panko breadcrumbs
1 cup italian breadcrumbs
1lb calamari
1 cup flour
1 egg
1 tsp old bay(mixed into bread crumbs)

I ran warm water over the calamari to defrost them. These are already cut into the rings and there is no questionable tentacle parts lurking in the bag so definitely go buy this from Harris Teeter, its in the fresh seafood section in the little refrigerator part right next to it.

Mix in both breadcrumbs into one dish along with the old bay. I liked the mix of the breadcrumbs because the Italian breadcrumbs have seasoning and are finer and the panko are bigger and make me feel like I'm eating really deep fried food.

Beat your egg in a bowl, mix in the calamari,

Then dump in the egg/calamari mixture into the flour bowl. I used a slotted spoon so excess egg wouldn't get into the flour..Coat thoroughly then put about half off the calamari into the bread crumb dish, Coat really well, especially the inside of the rings etc.


Place on baking sheet. Sorry no picture of this, use your imagination...

Bake on 425 for about 15 mins, then broil on Lo for about 10 to get them super crispy!
Serve with cocktail sauce. This was awesome!

1 comment:

  1. I love how you just make up recipes and they turn out great!! Such a great little cook!

    ReplyDelete