Friday, September 3, 2010

Balsamic Glazed Drumsticks

This is a great meal to prepare ahead of time and just pop in the oven for 35 mins and you're set.  I never know what to do with drumsticks, they seem so complicated. I adapted this recipe from one of Giada's on the food network and  it was delicious. Its also a  nice dish to show off at a dinner party and seem really fancy when you're not.

Marinade
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 honey or Agave Nectar (I used Agave Nectar its a vegan form of honey)
1/4 sugar (brown if you have it)
1/4 Soy sauce
3 cloves crushed garlic
Pepper to taste.
3 "sprigs" of Rosemary


10 drumsticks
grape tomatos (optional, but look how pretty it is)




Mix all your marinade ingredients except the rosemary in a bowl making sure to whisky thoroughly considering the agave and sugar tend to sink to the bottom.   In my measurements above I already reduced the sugar for the marinade but be sure to taste and change up the ingredients to your liking.

Meanwhile take your raw drumsticks and pull the skin back. If you leave the skin on the look will be more appealing, it will look like a super glazed drumstick however unless you're going to eat the skin most of the taste is left on the skin, gross. Basically, pull the skin back....which is what I did, and look still pretty...

Now add your chicken to your marinade, trying to cover all of the drumsticks and add in the rosemary. Seal (I used the same tupperware I used to mix the marinade, you could use a large Ziploc bag if you prefer) and place in the fridge for 2 hours. Because mine was in tupperware after about an hour I rearranged my chicken to ensure all of the drumsticks got the proper amount of love from the marinade.

Preheat the oven to 450, prepare your roasting pan by laying down aluminum foil, and add in your drumsticks and if you have grape tomatoes go ahead and add them in between the drumsticks. pour the remainder of your marinde over the chicken.  Cook for about 30-35 mins, when you think they are complete, take out the largest drumstick, cut into the center, if its cooked, all of the drumsticks should be good to go.

I would serve this with couscous or some wild rice but because I was being lazy and in a 'leftover' mode
with my Greek salsa from my nachos  I added the salsa to a bed of spinach, and quickly sauteed some mushrooms with soy sauce, pepper and a little agave as a side. PS the tomatoes are the bomb.com


No comments:

Post a Comment