Thursday, September 23, 2010

Dirty Brown Rice

Tastes ALOT better than it sounds. This was a really simple/cheap dish to throw together. I like it rich in veggies so I went overboard with veggies.

2 cups of brown rice
1-2 Green peppers
3 stalks of celery
1 onion
1 clove of garlic crushed
5 Spicy Italian sausages
5 cups chicken stock and or water.


I know the Italian sausage prob isn't the most 'girl-envied' product but  hey, I had them in the freezer and bc I used them I used no other spices other than a little salt. So don't judge me. You could just as easily use chicken sausage or whatever kind of 'meat' you like.


I took the sausage out of the casing and sauteed it about half way through with my diced green peppers,onions,celery and crushed garlic.
Once the sausage is cooked about half way through I added it to the deep cover baker. This was my first time truly 'baking' a full meal in it, and Karen was right, this thing IS magic. I can't wait to get my hands on my own, I was borrowing hers :) So add this mixture to the Deep covered baker and mix in your uncooked rice.
Always add about 2.5 times as much chicken stock/water as I do rice. I have been sort of annoyed with this brown rice in the past so I was hoping the deep covered baker would work its magic and cook the brown rice to my liking. So I did 2 cups of rice and about 5 cups of chicken stock...
Then pop it in the oven with the top on for about an hour an half on 425. I would check on it half way through and give it a stir to make sure it doesn't need more water.

This is a pic of the final product, all the water is soaked into the veggies and rice all the flavors are blended and it was delicious. Although I highly recommend making this in the deep covered baker you could make it on the stove top or in a regular casserole dish. I'm not sure about the cook times and how well the brown rice will turn out, but the most important part is to seal the dish really well when baking. Foil doesn't do as good as a job in the oven as a heavy stone top, but you could try the stove top and use the top for a pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment