Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Mac and Cheese

One of Alex's favorite food is Mac and Cheese..its one of those t hings you gotta have sometimes but I just can't bring myself to make it with cream and butter so this is a recipe that I've adapted a bit and every time it changes depending on what I have on hand..and of course its healthy.

20 ounces frozen pureed butternut squash (sometimes labeled winter squash)
3 cups of milk
3 cups of cheese (I like to use at least 2-3 different kinds of cheese)
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
Salt to taste
Bread crumbs
3 cups frozen broccoli (thawed)
1 lb (1 box) whole wheat pasta (I didn't have elbow so its penne)





Boil your pasta for about 7 minutes, drain and set aside. In a pot add your milk and butternut squash on medium high cooking till completely defrosted and heated through stirring often. Add in the mustard and bring to a slow boil and remove from heat. Add in  your crumbled/shredded (just not a whole block) of cheese stirring and making the 'cheese' sauce. This is where you will use your tasting skills if you want to add cayenne pepper and salt do it to taste and add in more cheese if you REALLY WANT. I recommend if you want a cheesy version to add in some skim ricotta as one of your cheeses which has a rich taste and not a lot of fat. The amount of cheese I used is pictured ... I had feta, pepper jack and monterrey on hand, all crumbled it was probably a little under 2 cups.




Once your cheese sauce is all combined add in the pasta and the broccoli, mix it all up and  pour into your casserole dish. Top with breadcrumbs, I am on a Panko breadcrumb kick so I added those.... Bake on 350 for about 25 mins and broil on lo for about 3 to get the top browned.




The butternut squash gives the mac and cheese the  gooey texture and bright cheese color that is typically cream and tons of cheese and replaces it with a serving of veggies. Not to mention the 'cheesy' broccoli baked inside. MMMM I can't wait for my leftovers at lunch today!

1 comment:

  1. Just made this! I've found that the same things that work for your Bf work for my 3 yr old...

    ReplyDelete