Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Chicken Sausage Polenta Bake

I bought a tube of polenta from Trader Joes a while back and never really knew what to do with it. After searching a few recipes I followed none and came up with one a few months back. Alex loved it and it was super easy so I decided to serve it up for some friends last week


2 tubes Polenta (I would use one if only for 2-3 people)
4-5 fully cooked chicken sausage
3 small yellow onions ( I like onions)
Olive oil
1 tsp butter (optional)
2-3 cloves Garlic chopped
Oregano, basil or Sage


Polenta Facts : Polenta was originally and still is classified as a peasant food. ($1.99 at Trader Joes, I'll take two..) Dubbed as 'italian grits' it can be purchased in tube form or a quick-cook ground substance that is boiled with water.

Cut the polenta into 1/2 inch thick rounds and place into greased casserole dish.

Saute the chopped onions (any other veggies, I had left over mushrooms from tuesdays paninis), garlic, and the cut sausage with the basil and oregano. Be generous with the olive oil bc this will become the 'sauce that you pour over the polenta in the baking dish so if its somewhat 'runny' this is preferred. You could also add a tsp of butter for a richer taste.

Now pour the sausage/veggie sauce over the polenta evenly. Lightly top off with your choice of cheese, I had Gorgonzola and feta.

Bake on 350 for 10-15 mins (everything is already fully cooked) then broil on lo for about 5 mins to your liking...



You could always use tomato sauce if you're in a crunch, cut up the polenta, chicken sausage pour the tomato sauce, dunzo.

2 comments:

  1. Was there for this one...loved it! I'm not scared of tube polenta anymore :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum yum - I feel the same way about polenta. I just got the egg slicer plus from PC and you can use it to make perfect circle cuts in 1/8 of the time for polenta, or mozzarella, its sweet

    ReplyDelete