Wednesday, August 4, 2010

PF Changs at Home!

Last night I threw together a mini Asian Feast. I made lettuce wraps with Cabbage instead, an egg-drop hot & sour soup and egg rolls. Don't get all excited I had help with the soup and the egg rolls.

What you'll need for the Cabbage wraps:
1 head of Cabbage
Hoison Sauce

Any Asian Hot sauce (I had chili paste)
Ground ginger (or Fresh)
Soy Sauce
2 Large Carrots
1/4 lb ground beef
1/4 diced chicken
20 large uncooked shrimp

two handfuls of fresh basil (optional)

Soup:
2 Soup packets (Egg Drop or Hot & Sour or one of each!)
2-3 Eggs

Egg rolls:
Store bought veggie egg rolls
Egg rolls Stacked like Jenga pieces (pictured right)

I swear the meal is much better than it looks, I really didn't even remember to take a pic until everyone had gotten their 2nd serving... oops!


Now the only reason there are three different meats is because I was looking in the freezer and I had one small baggie of beef that wouldn't be enough for any full meal, some Chicken thigh meat that Alex bought that I don't know what to do with and shrimp because to begin with I wanted to only make Shrimp Cabbage Wraps. So really use any meat you want just one, or all three it doesn't matter.

Start to peel off the bigger cabbage leaves, you will use these as your wraps (they are way sturdier than lettuce and iceberg lettuce is like eating air) once you get to the smaller not wrap worthy pieces just chop it up to add to your meat mixture.
In the pan you'll have some olive oil, beef, diced chicken, cabbage and shredded carrots. Start to saute probably a good 5-7 mins over medium heat. During this you'll add your hoison sauce (maybe 2 tbsp, a little ginger and add chili paste to taste. I'm a big 'taster' while cooking however be careful tasting when raw meat is involved. Do not add the shrimp until the other meet is thoroughly cooked through.

Meanwhile dice up the shrimp into bitesize pieces, turn down the pan to medium low heat once the meat is fully cooked and do your taste test, also be wary that with time the heat in the chili paste gets stronger. Toss in the shrimp and give it a swirl, shrimp cooks extremely fast and sucks when its overcooked. So if you are preparing this in advance, to turn off the heat, add the shrimp and remove the pan from the burner. This will allow for the shrimp to cook about half way. Once you are ready to eat. turn the pan back on high add your fresh basil, give it a 1-2 min swirl and you will notice your shrimp pinking (perfectly cooked shrimp) and this will also heat it up enough to serve.

To go with the lettuce wraps I took some store bought mini veggie eggrolls that my mom gave me, put them in the oven to cook. I then took them out glazed them lightly with a hot pepper jelly that I had in the fridge to make them delish and not blah placed them back in the oven on the 'Lo" broil setting for about 2-5 mins. Make sure you watch them closely the broil setting on ovens have proven disastrous for me in the past.

For the soup, I have recently discovered a $2 packet mix for egg drop soup or hot and sour soup at the store. Because it was more than just me and Alex for dinner, I added about 4 mugs of water(I told you I don't measure), the two packets, and brought them to a boil. Meanwhile whisk 2-3 eggs (I love eggy soup so I did 3) in a separate bowl, once the soup mixture comes to a boil, remove from heat and slowly stir in the egg as your pour is very lightly from the bowl. It is important to constantly stir in the same direction when adding the egg. The slower you add the egg the thinner the 'egg ribbons' are.

Egg roll Jenga Stacker himself



















1 comment: