Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Homemade Tortilla Chips -> Nachos!

I had a revelation while watching 'semi-homemade with Sandra Lee' she made tortilla chips out of CORN TORTILLAS, in her own home! I was hooked. Pretty much since that episode we haven't bought a bag of tortilla chips. The only pitfall (which happens to be a major advantage of making your own) of homemade tortilla chips is that there are no preservatives therefore when you make them, you must eat them, ALL of them. Sealing them up in a Ziploc will help but after about 24 hours they start to go stale.

What you'll need:

For Tortilla Chips:
Corn tortillas (they are smaller than flour, white or yellow, its all the same)
Salt
Olive oil
Nachos:
Chips
Salsa
Cheese
Chili (optional)

Cut up the Corn tortilla into 'chip size' pieces and evenly spread them on greased cookie sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle lightly with salt.
Baked at 360 for about 7 mins, take out the sheet and gently mix up the chips, making sure they aren't baking together and to ensure that the chips get an even brown. Bake for another 5 mins or so.
To assemble nachos, simply sprinkle your cheese ( I had shredded cheese on hand and add your salsa ( I had salsa verde.) I also remembered I had a bit of frozen chili I had made about a month ago in the freezer which I defrosted and added to the chips. I spread the chili lightly over the cheese/salsa and chips and popped the sheet back into the oven for another 5 mins.


Part 2 of the hangover meal, Homemade Nachos!
They really were as good as they look










No comments:

Post a Comment