Friday, August 27, 2010

Fancy Shrimp and Salad

I call this Fancy Shrimp because it really reminded me of a salad I would order off of a yuppie restaurant menu. What you'll need:

2-3 cups dry white wine
1 cup milk
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (I didn't have this but I recommend it)
2 tbsp Capers
1tbsp chopped garlic or 2-3 cloves fresh garlic
About 20 raw shrimp
1 yellow onion
1 teaspoon cornstarch

Salad:
1 bag of Spinach
1 Tomato
1 Bell pepper




I like to buy frozen raw shrimp with the tails on from Bjs (Costco's cousin) and if I'm in the mood for shrimp I take out a handful, defrost them in a bowl with hot water, take the tails off and I'm ready to go. Butterfly the shrimp: Butterflying shrimp is essentially cutting the shrimp down the back so it has to floppy sides (cooks better and looks bigger!)
"Prepare" your salad, Chop up the tomato, and the bell pepper  and top your spinach with the veggies on your plate. I also added Feta to the salad bc I had no Parmesan cheese and I needed a salty cheese.

Cut up the onion and saute with garlic in olive oil. I like to overcook the onions and caramelize them bc they become sweet and its a nice taste against the white wine and capers. Once the onion is sauteed add your white wine and milk and whisk the mixture. Turn down the heat to low-medium and slowly add the one tablespoon of Cornstarch (this thickens the sauce but its still more watery than an Alfredo sauce) Add in the capers and add your shrimp still on a low heat. Cook the shrimp slowly really stirring it around in the 'sauce.' Add in your Parmesan cheese and pepper to taste. Once the shrimp is lightly pink and the shrimp is no longer gray the shrimp is cooked perfectly




Serve on your salad, I like to spoon extra 'sauce' on the greens/veggies so its sort of a warm dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment