Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Zucchini Gratin

This recipe is one I found on thatsfit.com in the 'recipe rehab' section. I like these recipes bc for the most part this is my mentality when cooking always. A few changes and I really like this recipe and decided to serve it with the Chicken sausage polenta bake I made for a few friends.

Ingredients: (lucky for you there are measurements)
1/2 Milk
4-5 Zucchini (yellow/green)
Half tbsp cornstarch
2-3 cloves of garlic
1 tablespoon dried thyme, I used oregano and basil
1 tbsp red pepper flakes
"some" cheese (for topping)
Panko breadcrumbs (and Italian only bc I have both)

Combine milk and cornstarch in a small pot and stir until the cornstarch has dissolved, add garlic and spices and heat over meat heat until the mixture has thickened but before it starts to boil. Its really important to monitor this and continue to stir i like to use a whisk to avoid clumps. Remove from the heat and set aside
Slice the zucchini into thin rounds I would say 1/4 to 1/2 inch.

Spray the casserole dish with Pam layer the zucchini, sprinkle with salt, drizzle some of the milk 'sauce', then add a little breadcrumbs, then begin to layer more slices of zucchini. Think Lasagna. Repeat till you run out. Once at the top layer, sprinkle with breadcrumbs and whatever cheese you have on hand, the recipe calls for Parmesan, I went with feta bc that is what i had.

Lightly spray the top with cooking spray (Pam or olive oil) bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 mins; I like to finish it off with 5-7 min on LO broil to get the top really golden brown and I obvi didn't do that this time.



No comments:

Post a Comment