Friday, October 29, 2010

Ball Park Food Part 1: Black Bean Burger

The Giants are in the World Series and to watch Game 2 I wanted the realll ball park feel. That means burgers and fries. This is a recipe my friend from college Mary Kate sent me. She raved to me about how great these black bean burgers were it was so I had to have it.

2 Cans black beans
1 egg (Mary Kate suggested 2 egg whites which is healthier but I'm lazy and can't just throw away yolk)
1 tbsp Cumin
1 Onion Minced
1 cup cornmeal (I used  panko breakcrumbs because that is what I had on hand)

For The burger assembly:

Whole wheat hamburger buns
1 avocado
5 slices bacon  (I added this bc I live with a Carnivore)
The egg isn't pictured. I think it rolled out of the pic, oops.
Drain and Rinse your black beans really well. You want that weird goo completely washed off. Let the beans drain in the colander for a min or two. Meanwhile, mince your onion nearly to a pulp..
To the mixing bowl add your beans and onion.
Add in the cumin

Now give the beans a good chop..I chopped them about halfway through, then added in the egg, and continued to chop up. Make sure the onion, cumin,beans and egg are mixed/chopped very well this is to be similar to a ground meat consistency.
Pour your cornmeal into a side plate to coat your black bean burgers. Once you form into patties (I got 6 patties out of this)  I coated them in the plate with the cornmeal(panko breadcrumbs)..


Bake the burgers on 400 for about 20 mins. Once the look golden browned take them out.

In order to entice Alex into eating a black bean burger and feeling satfisfied, I fried up a few pieces of bacon to the top the burger. Thats right, full fat, REAL bacon.
Also to give the blackbean burgers a little bit of 'fat' taste once I took them out of the oven I pan fried them for about 1 min on each side in the same pan I cooked the bacon. Tricky, I know.

Top the black bean burger with avocado, lettuce and tomato (and bacon for the carnivores) and serve...MMMMM.  This was totally guy approved, I would recommend the bacon to trick them into it, I thought it was great without the bacon though! Thanks Mary Kate!!

1 comment: