Thursday, October 21, 2010

Spaghetti Squash Dip

If you don't know what Spaghetti Squash is. You are missing out and aren't fully enjoying fall. Its like fall without football, impossible. Most recipes that I make including spaghetti squash, the squash is a replacement for a pasta. My friend Karen made a yummy one doing just that. Because I always steer towards that route I wanted to try something new and also use my new dip stoneware. Yes, loser, I know.
1 Spaghetti Squash
1 cup cheese (I did feta)
3 cups Greek Yogurt
1 tbsp Mayo
3 cloves crushed garlic
plenty of s&p and even some cayenne pepper
1/2 c breadcrumbs (for topping)
1 tsp paprika (also for topping)

In case you aren't familiar with Spaghetti squash, its  typically sold by the pound unless you are at Trader Joes and they sell it at about $4 per squash, its a steal. So I buy two at a time. If refrigerated they last at least two months so if you see one pick it up and save for a day you're feeling adventurous.

The terrible thing is cutting the squash in half, I don't have any good tips/tricks to make this easy other than to say be careful or make a boy do it...

Preheat your oven to 400. Once the spaghetti squash is halved scoop out the seeds and questionable insides (similiar to a pumpkin) but you won't have to do as much scooping.


 Next lightly drizzle olive oil on the inside then place face down onto baking sheet.
Bake for about an hour. When making the spaghetti squash for this dip you are pretty much overcooking it a bit bc you dont' want the texture as stringy as you would for a pasta dish. The squash comes out REALLY hot so I baked the actual squash the night before, and scooped it out in the morning .  If you are nervous that the squash isn't cooked enough jab it with a fork while in the oven  you will notice it gives a lot more than it did before and the outsides may be browned a bit. Scoop out the insides add salt and pepper.
Add the spaghetti squash to a mixing bowl and add in greek yogurt, mayo, cheese, garlic, and any other spices etc you want.  Mix it all around...
Looks weird but trust me its good. If you are not using stoneware I would lightly grease the baking dish. Place the dip into your oven safe dish.

I topped it with a mix of Italian and panko breadcrumbs just because I had both. I also sprinkled a little paprika to make it pretty.

Bake on 375 for about 30 mins, or until you see it bubbling on the edges. I then broiled it on high for about 3 mins to make it even better looking.
Serve with chips/carrots/celery or just eat it with a spoon, its that good.

1 comment:

  1. i made this with chicken and not as a dip. SOOOOOOOOOOO good. thanks for introducing me to spag squash!!!
    xoxo
    marj and kristen

    ReplyDelete