Monday, October 4, 2010

Persian Mom Spaghetti

I spent a few nights at my parents house while my roomie was on the West Coast and my mom made me one of my favorite meals growing up, her Spaghetti.

You won't understand how great this Spaghetti is until you try it. My mom simmers the meat sauce with the noodles for about 30 and it has an awesome potato crust that I STILL fight my brother over. 

1 Jar pasta sauce (or homemade pasta sauce)
1 lb ground turkey
1 Box Whole Wheat Spaghetti
1 Potato
Olive oil

First you make the meat sauce, combine the sauce and the raw ground meet in a skillet and brown on medium high.


Boil your spaghetti per the box's directions and drain.

Meanwhile peel and slice the potato. You will want the slices to be about 1/4" thick. The thinner the crispier the potato 'crust' or tadeeg (persian word for cripy rice or in this case cripsy potato) mmmm.


Add about a teaspoon of olive oil to the bottom of the pot, line the pot with  the slices of  potato.

 Add a layer of noodles, a few scoops of sauce, a layer of noodles and a few scoops of sauce. Mix well being sure not to disturb the bottom potato layer. There will be left over pasta/meat sauce which is good for those people who want more meat sauce on the side when serving.


When preparing to simmer your pasta a tip to make sure the water won't drip back into your pot is to put a paper towel on top of the pot then put the top to the pot over the towel.


This prevents the water from dripping back into your pasta while simmering and making it all mushy. Simmer on medium high for about 5-7 mins to make the potato crispy, then on low for about 30 mins.

When its ready, my mom carefully empties the spaghetti into a dish then tops it with the potato...here is a shot of the potato crush flipped over sort of  like the bottom of a cake.

This picture doesn't do it justice..but this is one of my three servings...mmmm.

2 comments:

  1. i want you to make me this!! and that paper towel trick is such a good one!! thanks!

    ReplyDelete